Established in 2001, the Freechild Institute for Youth Engagement works towards ensuring that each young person in every community is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged (from the ASCD Whole Child Approach).
Every community, everywhere must engage all youth, all of the time in ways that equip, empower and encourage them to change their own lives and change the world—right now. Freechild believes that youth engagement is the only avenue for every child and youth to succeed throughout their worlds, including in their families, learning, earning, leadership, community, and beyond. Freechild has adopted the five tenets of ASCD’s approach to educating the whole child: Healthy, Safe, Engaged, Supported, and Challenged.
We know that every young person needs to be fully prepared for college, career, and citizenship right now. For more than 20 years we’ve worked with organizations to share responsibility with children, youth, parents and families, schools, and communities. Our adaptation of the Whole Child tenets show how the Freechild Institute approaches this.
- Each young person goes through life healthy, learning about, practicing, and advocating healthy lifestyles.
- Each young person learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for children, youth, and adults.
- Each young person is actively engaged in learning, teaching and leadership, and is connected throughout the broad community.
- Each young person has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualified, caring adults.
- Each young person is prepares for, lives in, and co-creates a global environment.
Our Approach to the Whole Child
Freechild provides training, tools and technical assistance to local K-12 schools and districts, community-based organizations, government agencies, and other organizations in the areas of Civic Education, Extended Learning and Out-of-School Time, Service-Learning, Social and Emotional Learning, and Student Leadership. Contact us today to learn more.
Our experts inform practice and policy implementation and improvement by using knowledge for our work in project development, implementation, evaluation, and consulting.
Freechild Supports Policy and Leadership
- Training, technical assistance, and coaching
- Professional development for field leaders, program staff, youth, and others
- Tool creation that applies our real life experience and findings
Adam F.C. Fletcher
Director, Freechild Institute
PO Box 6185, Olympia, WA 98507-6185
Phone: +1 (360)489-9680
You Might Like…
- The Whole Child Approach to Education from ASCD
Freechild Institute Youth Engagement Toolkit
by Adam F.C. Fletcher
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What Is Youth Engagement?
- What Youth Engagement is Not
- Who is Youth Engagement For?
- What Are Youth Engaged In?
- How to See Youth Engagement
- All Youth Are Already Engaged
- Why Youth Engagement Happens
- Where Youth Engagement Happens
- Recruiting Youth
- How to Engage Youth
- How to Support Youth Engagement
- How to Sustain Youth Engagement
- 111 Ways to Engage Youth
- The Cycle of Engagement
- Barriers to Youth Engagement
- Comprehensive Youth Engagement
- The Future of Youth Engagement
Does your organization or community need support to create, foster, transform, or sustain youth engagement?