There are several factors that make youth engagement happen. However, today’s popular forms of youth engagement generally don’t acknowledge those factors.
Whether or not a young person is going to become engaged is determined by three things:
- the social and economic environment
- the physical environment, and
- the person’s individual characteristics and behaviors
The ways young people live determine their engagement. Because of this, blaming youth for being disengaged from particular activities or issues or crediting them for being engaged in ways you approve of is inappropriate.
Youth are unlikely to be able to directly control many of the factors affecting youth engagement.
Freechild Institute Youth Engagement Toolkit
by Adam F.C. Fletcher
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What Is Youth Engagement?
- What Youth Engagement is Not
- Who is Youth Engagement For?
- What Are Youth Engaged In?
- How to See Youth Engagement
- All Youth Are Already Engaged
- Why Youth Engagement Happens
- Where Youth Engagement Happens
- Recruiting Youth
- How to Engage Youth
- How to Support Youth Engagement
- How to Sustain Youth Engagement
- 111 Ways to Engage Youth
- The Cycle of Engagement
- Barriers to Youth Engagement
- Comprehensive Youth Engagement
- The Future of Youth Engagement
Does your organization or community need support to create, foster, transform, or sustain youth engagement?
You Might Like…
- The Practice of Youth Engagement by Adam Fletcher
- An Introduction to Youth Engagement in the Economy by Adam Fletcher
- A Unique Guide to Youth Engagement by Adam Fletcher
- The Freechild Project Youth Engagement Workshop Guide
Other tools are out there, too – share your thoughts in the comments below! For more information about how The Freechild Project can support youth engagement in your community or organization, contact us.